What Is Your Thyroid?: All You Need to Know With These Thyroid Health Tips
January is Thyroid Awareness Month. Read on to learn Thyroid Health Tips.
The thyroid is a small butterfly shaped gland that rests on the trachea (aka windpipe), in the middle of your neck. This gland is part of your endocrine system, the network of glands in your body responsible for creating, releasing, and maintaining hormones within your body.
According to the American Thyroid Association, an estimated 20 million Americans have some form of Thyroid disease, and up to 60% of individuals living with thyroid disease or dysfunction DON’T KNOW they have it!
The thyroid plays a critical role in human health through its major role in metabolism, growth, and development of the human body. Read on for more thyroid health tips.
The Thyroid produces hormones that influence every cell, tissues, and organ in the body. Thyroid hormone T3 and T4 influence and regulate your body’s Basal Metabolic Rate and activity – this is better recognized as your metabolism. The impact of these hormone are far reaching and include:
- Regulation of the rate at which energy is generated from food and oxygen.
- Growth and repair, especially in children
- Brain maturation – specifically in pregnancy and childhood
- Regulation of heart rate and rhythm
- Regulation of body temperature
- Nervous system and neurological
When thyroid function is interrupted, it increases the risk for other problems, including but not limited to:
- Unexplained changes in weight
- Disturbed Menses and Infertility
- Mood disorder
- Cardiovascular disease
- Neurological (memory) problems
- Bone loss
- Liver disease (fatty liver)
What do you think about these thyroid health tips? Comment to let us know or schedule your consultation today.